Medical payments portion of a car insurance policy is designed to pay some of the medical consequences that may result from an accident such as medical bills and/or funeral expenses up to the policy limit.
The people entitled to receive benefits under this coverage are:
- The insured and his or her family members living in the same household.
- Any passenger injured while riding in the covered vehicle.
Most insurance policies do not provide large amounts of medical payments since most people carry health insurance either through private purchase or provided through work.
Most insurance policies provide medical payments in the range of $500 to $5,000.
It is important to note that medical payments will provide coverage in one area that health insurance will not and that is funeral expenses; However, medical payments do have exclusions.
There is no coverage for injuries:
- While in a motorized vehicle with less that four wheels.
- While using your covered auto to carry persons or property for a fee.
- If Workers’ Compensation benefits are payable.
- While occupying an auto other than your auto, which is owned by, furnished, or available for the regular use of the named insured or a family member.
- While occupying a vehicle without reasonable leave permission.
- While occupying an auto for the business purposes, other than private passenger auto, owned pick-up or van, or trailer used with one of these.
Uninsured Motorist Coverage
Comprehensive and Collision Coverage
Rental Car Coverage