Chances are, car insurance isn’t your only insurance. Rather, you might need other types of insurance to protect your home, family, or even your business. Farmers offers the following types of insurance policies in addition to auto:
- Off-road vehicle
Save money by bundling multiple policies with Farmers, in addition to your veteran discount.
3. Best for Coverage Options: Liberty Mutual
Liberty Mutual is the auto insurance company on our list that has been in business the longest, dating back to 1912. Today, the company operates in 30 countries and provides auto insurance, property insurance, business insurance, life insurance, and more.
Who It’s Best For
- ✔ Drivers who want many coverage options
- ✔ Customers who want many ways to save
- ✔ Veterans who want a discount for their service
Who It’s Not Best For
- ✘ People who want the best customer satisfaction ratings
- ✘ Customers who want a provider with the best financial strength
Savings and Resources for Veterans
If you’re a military veteran, you can save up to 10 percent on your premium with Liberty Mutual. The company’s military discount applies to active, retired, and reserved members of the U.S. Armed Forces.
However, Liberty Mutual’s military discount isn’t the only way the company serves current and former military members. On top of that, the company has special employee programs and benefits for current and former military members.
Many Coverage Options
Liberty Mutual has the best lineup of coverage options of any company on our list. First, the company has all of the coverage options you’d expect of any insurance carrier, including liability, collision, comprehensive, medical payments, and uninsured motorist coverage.
Additionally, Liberty Mutual offers coverage options that not all providers offer, such as the following:
- Deductible fund: You can opt in to pay an extra premium on your collision insurance to reduce your deductible by $100 per year.
- Lifetime repair guarantee: With this coverage, Liberty Mutual makes repair arrangements on your behalf rather than you having to make them yourself.
- New-car replacement: If your car is totaled in the first year, Liberty Mutual will pay you the full amount rather than the depreciated amount.
- Better-car replacement: If your car is totaled, Liberty Mutual will pay you enough to buy a model that’s one year newer.
- Teacher car insurance: This coverage provides extra coverage for vandalism, collisions, stolen supplies, and more.
Liberty Mutual has one of the largest lists of discounts of any company on our list. First, the company offers many of the discounts you would find with other carriers, such as bundling discounts, safe driving discounts, and automatic payment discounts.
But the company offers plenty of other discounts. You can save by being a homeowner, regardless of whether you have bundled your homeowners and auto insurance policies. You can save by shopping for insurance before your current policy expires, having a GPA of B or better, having a child away at school, signing up for paperless billing, and more.
Similar to other companies, Liberty Mutual offers a program drivers can opt in to to save called RightTrack. RightTrack allows Liberty Mutual to track your driving habits and reward you for being a safe driver. You’ll get a discount just for opting in to the program, as well as another one if you show you’re a safe driver.
4. Best for Claims: GEICO
Sometimes, it’s true that bigger is better. GEICO is the second-largest car insurance provider in the U.S., insuring 28 million vehicles. It has the largest claims reserve of any auto insurer, with over $8 billion to pay claims across all of its insurance offerings. That means that if you have a claim, GEICO will be able to cover it, which is the purpose of an insurance provider in the first place.
Who It’s Best For
- ✔ Anyone across the U.S.
- ✔ Someone with a clean driving history.
- ✔ A person that wants a customer service department they can reach easily.
- ✔ Someone that wants a 15 percent discount because of their military service.
Who It’s Not Best For
- ✘ A low-mileage driver looking for usage-based insurance.
- ✘ Someone who wants a discount for insuring a hybrid or electric vehicle.
Designed With Veterans in Mind
GEICO’s car insurance has discounts for veterans, as well as for those affiliated with certain military organizations. You can purchase your car insurance from veterans themselves and receive a customized insurance ID card that showcases your veteran status. Enjoy a discount of up to 15 percent, or more if you’re a federal employee as well as a veteran.
Of course, GEICO offers the typical coverages: liability, medical payments/personal injury protection, uninsured motorist, collision, and comprehensive, to name a few. But it also offers a few services that not every provider offers:
- Roadside assistance: Bundle your roadside assistance and your car insurance with GEICO. Help is available 24/7 if you need a tow, a jump-start, fuel delivery, or lockout service. And the best part? The cost starts at only $14 annually per car, making GEICO’s roadside assistance quite the steal.
- Rental reimbursement: If your car is being repaired under a covered claim, GEICO’s rental reimbursement coverage could pay you up to $25 a day, up to $750 total, for a rental car. That way, you won’t have to ask your family members for rides. Plus, if you use Enterprise as your rental car company, GEICO can bill it directly so you never have to wait for reimbursement.
- Personal umbrella: For the most protection, we recommend personal umbrella insurance. This coverage would kick in in case you face losses that exceed the limits of your other coverages. For example, if someone sues you after a car accident, umbrella insurance could pay for the costs of the lawsuit, except in New Hampshire and New York.
- Classic car: Do you have a Ferrari, a car made before 1979, or a classic military vehicle? If so, consider GEICO as your classic car insurer. Check with your agent to make sure it is eligible, and then you can settle on an agreed value, which won’t depreciate if you have a claim.
- Mexico coverage: Most likely, you’ve traveled in your military career. If that same wanderlust is still with you, you can use your GEICO insurance, through a separate tourist policy, if you drive to Mexico. Regular car insurance will cover you in the U.S. only, but whether you’re going to Mexico for a short time or an extended period, you can get insurance plus roadside assistance from GEICO. Choose from daily, six-month, or annual policies.
Array of Discounts
Aside from the veteran discount, you can stack discounts to save money. Here’s what GEICO has to offer:
|Name of discount
||Discount on medical payments coverage/personal injury protection only
||Must be factory installed
||Discount on comprehensive coverage only
|Daytime running lights
||Applies to certain coverages only (not listed)
||Must be three model years or newer
||No accidents in previous five years
|Uses seat belt
||Discount on medical payments/personal injury protection only
||Must complete an approved defensive driving course
|Driver’s ed course
||For young drivers only; applies to most coverages
||Must be a full-time student with good grades
||Active or retired federal employees only
||Member to over 500 groups
||Must insure two or more cars with GEICO
||Bundle auto with homeowners, renters, condo, or mobile home policy