Here’s additional relevant legal information you should know as an Ohio driver.
Minimum Required Coverage
The minimum coverage the state requires is as follows:
- $25,000 for bodily injury liability coverage per person, $50,000 per accident
- $25,000 for property damage liability coverage per accident5
Ohio Automobile Insurance Plan
If you can’t find an insurance provider that will cover you, you can use the state’s Ohio Automobile Insurance Plan to buy liability coverage. Be aware that rates will be higher — even more expensive than rates from companies that cover high-risk drivers. To enroll, call 614-221-2596.6
You need proof of insurance to register your car in Ohio. For a new registration, bring the following documents to a deputy registrar license agency:
- Certificate or Title or Memorandum of Title
- E-check, if the vehicle is to be registered in an e-check county
- Lease agreement/power of attorney documents for vehicle leases
- Ohio driver’s license, state identification, or proof of Social Security number
- Signed Proof of Financial Responsibility statement
- Tax ID number (if the car is titled in a business name)
Find an agency at https://publicsafety.ohio.gov/local-office.
You’ll need to renew your registration 90 days before it expires. To do so, you’ll need to bring all of the above documents except the title.