USAA is an insurance company designed to help military families save money. To reduce the financial limitations associated with electric car ownership, USAA customers may be able to stack savings and ultimately find a plan that’s highly affordable.
First, USAA customers can benefit from the following discounts that are related to their membership, not their electric vehicle:9
- Family Discount – Sometimes, it pays to keep it in the family. If you inherit and continue using your parents’ USAA account, you can save up to 10% yourself.
- Length of Membership Savings – The longer you stay with USAA, the less you’ll spend. Customers can get yearly discounts just for keeping their auto insurance plan.
- Military Installation Discount – Military members can save up to 15% when they insure a vehicle on an active U.S. base.
On top of these standard USAA discounts, electric vehicle owners may be eligible for other savings. While USAA does not offer a specific discount for eco-friendly vehicles, they do have the following programs that often benefit electric vehicle drivers:10
- New Vehicle Discount – Because of the added bells, whistles, and safety features, vehicles less than three years old are eligible for discounted rates. Again, many drivers purchase electric vehicles new, meaning they likely fall under this category.
- Stored Vehicle Discount – Most electric car owners charge their vehicles overnight. This usually means they’re parking in an attached garage, building-wide parking garage, or a private storage area. USAA offers significant discounts on premiums for owners who have a safe place to keep their cars at night because it reduces the risk of theft.