The Kemper Corporation was founded in Chicago, IL, in 1990 under the original name Unitrin, Inc. At the time, the business had three departments: life and health insurance, property and casualty insurance, and consumer finance, which offered business and automotive loans.
In 2018, Kemper reorganized its subsidiaries into four categories:
- Kemper Auto: High-risk auto insurance
- Kemper Personal Insurance: Standard auto insurance and insurance for other types of vehicles
- Kemper Life: Life insurance policies
- Kemper Health: Medical and health insurance
Since 2015, the company has bought three other insurance providers:
- Alliance United Insurance Company
- American Access Casualty Company
- Infinity Property and Casualty Corporation
As of November 2022, Kemper has more than $13 billion in assets. It has served more than six million insurance policies, has approximately 33,500 agents and brokers, and employs more than 10,100 associates.