If you mainly use your vehicle for local trips, Allstate is a good option as it’s one of the best companies for pay-per-mile insurance in Oregon. Allstate also stands out for its classic car coverage, bundling options and young driver discounts.
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, Oregonians drive about 36 billion miles each year, which averages to approximately 11,900 annual miles per driver. That’s 1,500 miles below the national average of 13,400.7
If you drive only occasionally — for example, because you work from home, take public transportation or are retired — a pay-per-mile plan could save you money. Currently, Allstate offers its pay-per-mile plan Milewise in 21 states, including Oregon.
With Milewise, you pay a daily rate for insurance plus a per-mile rate. For example, let’s say you drive 15 miles per day on average:
||6 cents x 15 miles = 90 cents
|Total cost per day
|Total cost per month
Allstate captures your mileage with a device in your vehicle and you can track your mileage and costs with the Allstate app. If you have multiple vehicles on the same policy, they don’t all have to be on Milewise; for each vehicle, you choose whether the policy classifies it as per-mile or traditional unlimited mileage.
Discounts for Young Drivers
Oregon is home to several major universities, such as Oregon State, the University of Oregon and Portland State University. Adding teens or young drivers to your car insurance can be expensive as they pay more due to their lack of experience and increased likelihood of getting into an accident. Allstate is unique in that it offers several ways to earn its student discount, which can help young drivers and their families save on premiums.
To qualify, the driver must be unmarried, be under the age of 25 and fulfill just one of the following requirements:
- Maintain a minimum B-minus average, which is equivalent to a 2.7 GPA (most companies require a B average/3.0 GPA)
- Complete Allstate’s teenSMART driver education program
- Attend school at least 100 miles away from where the car is garaged
Classic Car Coverage
If you own a classic car, Allstate offers special coverage to ensure your car is fully protected in the event of an accident or theft. Allstate stands out in that it offers coverage for an array of classic and collector vehicles, including the following:
- Traditional antiques and classics
- Modern classics from the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s
- Collector vehicles valued for their unique appeal rather than vintage status, such as Mazda Miatas, Chevrolet Corvettes or Ford Mustangs
- Classic trucks and SUVs
- Modified vehicles, replicas and hot rods
- Custom builds and vehicles under restoration (some providers do not cover vehicles under restoration)
- Retired fired trucks, old military vehicles and antique tractors
An Allstate agent will work with you to assign the vehicle an agreed value when they write the policy. This ensures you will receive adequate compensation in the event you need to repair or replace your vehicle after a covered incident.