With over 87 million customers, State Farm is the largest auto insurance provider in the United States. The company is known for offering competitive rates, including to customers with DUIs. State Farm holds a customer satisfaction score of 847 from J.D. Power, surpassing the overall industry satisfaction score of 835.1
Low Rates and Discounts
On average, a DUI will raise your insurance premiums by 75 to 80 percent. Your premiums could increase even more, however, depending on where you live, your coverage, and other factors. DUIs are more expensive than speeding tickets or accidents, which by comparison, may increase your premiums by 20 to 40 percent in most cases.2
State Farm offers some of the least expensive auto insurance for people who have DUIs. Depending on where you live, your premiums may only increase by a few hundred dollars at your next renewal. In addition, you can take advantage of the following discounts even if you have a DUI:
- Drive Safe & Save: Get a discount for enrolling in this safe-driving program and up to 30 percent at your next renewal if you demonstrate good driving habits.
- Defensive driver course: Earn savings for completing a course on defensive driving; this discount is available in some states, including Texas and North Dakota, which have some of the highest DUI rates.3
- Good driver: You may qualify for this discount if your DUI happened more than three years ago.
- Accident-free: You can often apply this discount as long as your DUI did not result in a car accident.
- Safe vehicle: Drive a vehicle with safety features, like passive restraints and anti-theft technology, and lower your costs.
Save for Low Mileage
Each state has different DUI laws, but in general, the state will restrict your driving privileges after a conviction. For example, you’ll face a license suspension of 30 to 90 days or more, typically. When the suspension ends, you will most likely have to install a DUI ignition interlock.
If you’re driving fewer miles for any reason — including DUI restrictions — you can save on auto insurance. State Farm offers a low mileage discount if you drive 7,500 miles or fewer each year, which translates to about 20 miles a day. To apply the discount, State Farm will ask you to verify your odometer reading at various intervals, including the middle of your policy term.
Bundle Policies and Insure Multiple Vehicles
Another way you can lower your cost of auto insurance after a DUI is to combine all of your insurance needs at State Farm.
State Farm claims that adding policies for homeowners, condo, renters, or even life insurance can save you up to 17 percent on your insurance premiums overall. By bundling home and auto policies, you may be able to save up to $1,127 or $722 for renters and auto, respectively. In addition, you can save 20 to 25 percent by insuring multiple vehicles in your household with State Farm.