Allstate is one of the oldest, most financially reputable, and most popular providers (the fourth-largest) in the country.2 It has one of the highest home bundling discounts among any provider (25 percent), which can be a huge benefit if you’re one of Maryland’s 67 percent residents who are homeowners.3 Additionally, Allstate has the second-highest J.D. Power claims satisfaction score on our list and plenty of unique coverage options for your ancillary needs.
Excellent Savings for Homeowners
If you’re a homeowner, you can benefit from the highest home bundling discount on our list (up to 25 percent). Allstate also offers bundling discounts for:
DID YOU KNOW?
Maryland has the highest percentage (72 percent) of housing-unit owners (condos, townhomes, apartments, etc.) in the U.S.
Here are a few other ways you can save with Allstate:
- New-car discount: If you’re the first owner of a new vehicle and your car is either the current-year model or the last-year model, you could qualify for this discount.
- Smart student discount: If you’re a full-time student (or parent of a student), you could earn savings by fulfilling the following requisites:
- Maintains a B-average or a GPA of 2.7 or above
- Stores your vehicle 100 miles away from where you attend school
- Completes the teenSMART driver education program
- Safe driver discount: You need to complete a defensive driving course and be accident-free for six months to earn this discount.
- Vehicle equipment discount: You can earn this discount by integrating an anti-theft device or other safety features (like adaptive headlights or anti-lock brakes) to your vehicle.
- FullPay discount: You can save on your premium if you pay your policy in full or have made all your payments on time for the past year.
Great Coverage Add-ons
In addition to offering all the coverage you need to meet Maryland’s minimum state requirements, Allstate coverage add-ons allow you to extend your limits and benefits. Here’s the full list of optional coverage you can integrate into your plan:
- Mexico coverage: Visiting Mexico soon? Allstate works with insurance companies in Mexico to help cover medical bills and car repairs if you’re involved in a car accident during your stay.
- Roadside assistance: You can add 24/7 roadside assistance to your plan for tows, jump starts, flat tires, lockouts, and other emergencies. Allstate roadside memberships start at $8 per month or $89 per year.
- Uninsured motorists coverage/underinsured motorists coverage: If you get into an accident with someone who doesn’t have enough insurance (and they’re at fault), you won’t pay out of pocket. Maryland has the 16th-highest rate of uninsured drivers in the country (14 percent), so we definitely recommend integrating this add-on if you can afford it.4
- Rental reimbursement: If your car is being repaired under a covered insurance claim, rental reimbursement will help you pay for a rental or public transport.
- Windshield and glass: Your Allstate policy comes with Auto Glass Claim Express, which gives you access to over 7,200 vetted repair shops to repair your windshield and car glass.
- Personal umbrella policy (PUP): An umbrella policy provides you with additional coverage beyond your bodily injury, personal injury protection (PIP), or property damage liability limits.
Plans for Low-Mileage Drivers
On average, Marylanders drive about 11,000 miles per year, slightly higher than the national average of 9,700.5 If you can drive less than 10,000 miles per year, however, there’s a good chance you can pay less for auto insurance with Allstate’s Milewise program.
Milewise is a pay-per-mile program that charges you based on how many miles you drive per month. Here’s an example of what your rate could look like with Milewise:
|Daily flat rate
|Number of miles per day
|Total daily cost
If you drive 25 miles a day on average, you’re looking at a rate of about $90 a month (or $1,080 a year). This is much lower than both the average cost in Maryland ($1,201) and for Allstate’s ($1,673).
That being said, your daily flat rate and per-mile rate will vary based on your location, driving history, and personal background, so be sure to speak with an agent to get a more accurate estimation. For example, someone with good credit and a clean driving record will have better luck finding cheap car insurance than someone with bad credit and a bad record. Your ZIP code may also play a factor, as cities in the state have higher rates than suburban or rural Maryland.
Compare car insurance quotes from different providers to find out the cheapest car insurance company for you.