Allstate is the fourth-largest insurer nationally and a great choice for drivers in Pennsylvania. The company stands out for its bundling and student discounts in particular, and it offers coverages and policy options you won’t find everywhere, such as pay-per-mile insurance and rideshare coverage.
Bundling auto and home insurance is often a good idea. Many insurance companies, including Allstate, offer discounts for bundling multiple insurance policies. Additionally, bundling can make it easier to manage your coverage, as you can handle your claims, payments, and policy through a single point of contact.
Allstate reports that customers who bundle auto and homeowners insurance in Pennsylvania can save up to 12 percent.3 This can result in hundreds of dollars in savings per year.
DID YOU KNOW?
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, there are over 5.8 million housing units in Pennsylvania. Nearly 70 percent of those housing units are occupied by their owners, while renters account for the other 30 percent.4
The U.S. Department of Transportation reports that drivers in Pennsylvania log about 102 billion miles annually, which averages to approximately 11,400 miles per driver per year. That’s 2,000 miles less than the national average of 13,400.5 People in major cities like Philadelphia or Pittsburgh may drive even less.
If you don’t drive every day or have a short commute, a pay-per-mile plan could help lower your auto insurance costs. Typically, these plans make most sense if you drive less than 10,000 miles per year.
Pennsylvania is one of 21 states in which Allstate offers its pay-per-mile insurance plan, called Milewise. You’ll pay a base rate, plus a per-mile rate. For example, let’s say you drive an average of 20 miles each day:
|Daily base rate
|Rate per mile
|$0.07 x 20 miles = $1.40
|Total daily cost
|Total monthly cost
Allstate uses a device in your vehicle to record your mileage, and you can monitor your mileage and expenses in the Allstate app. When you have multiple vehicles covered under the same policy, you have the flexibility to decide individually for each vehicle whether it should be categorized as per-mile or under the traditional unlimited-mileage policy.
Rideshare Coverage Available
If you drive for Lyft, Uber, Doordash, GrubHub, or a similar delivery service, the transportation network coverage (TNC) — i.e., the rideshare company’s insurance — does not kick in until you’ve picked up a passenger or order. Your personal auto insurance policy does not cover you while you’re working. That means there may be a gap in your coverage when the app is on and you’re waiting to match with a ride or on your way to pick up. Additionally, TNC policies often have high deductibles.
Allstate’s rideshare coverage (called Ride for Hire) covers this gap by protecting you when the TNC policy and your personal policy wouldn’t apply. This coverage also pays for high TNC deductibles, up to $2,500.