American Family serves communities with exclusive agents in 19 states. With $11.1 billion in policyholder equity, American Family insurance group backs its policies with strong financial stability. The company ranks 232 on the Fortune 500 list and the ninth-largest private passenger insurer in the U.S.
Find a Local Agent Easily
American Family’s network of 14 companies, including Homesite and The General, works with 2,400 independent contractor agents providing local customer service. The company’s online tool lets you search by ZIP code to find a local auto insurance agent.2 You can also search for agents in your area or contact your current agent directly through the MyAmFam app, which has 4.8 out of five stars on the App Store and 4.2 stars on the Google Play store.
American Family established a program called Reimagining Agency to foster strong customer and community relationships through its network of agents.3 The main goal is to enable agents digitally so that customers can do business online quickly at any time of day and fall back on their agents to answer questions. The program boosted customer care with 24/7 support so agents can focus on more complex issues, such as one-on-one claims support with their clients.
Benefits for Teen Drivers and Students
American Family has several discounts to reduce the car insurance cost for teens and college-age students on your policy, including:
- Good student: Save if your student maintains a B average, ranks among the top 20 percent of the class or is on the honor roll or a comparable list.
- Multicar/family: This discount applies if you insure more than one vehicle.
- Safe driving: You’ll qualify for a 10 percent discount when your child completes 3,000 miles or one year in American Family’s free safe driving program. The Teen Safe Driver smartphone app monitors scores of every ride based on distracted driving and other risky behaviors. The app records driving routes, distance and time driven, high speeds, hard braking and time of day. Higher scores translate to safer driving. Multiple violations and at-fault accidents result in disqualification from the program.
- Student away from home: Save if you have a student on your policy who is under 25 and lives more than 100 miles away from home, where you store your car.
- Young volunteer: This discount applies to people under 25 with 40 hours of volunteer work per year for a non-profit.
- Generational discount: Young drivers save if their parents are American Family Insurance customers.
Talk to your American Family insurance agent to determine how to qualify for these savings.
Low Mileage Discount
If you like to keep it local and only drive short distances, then this program is for you. American Family offers a low mileage discount to customers who drive less than 7,500 per year. American Family does not disclose the amount of its low mileage discount; that’s information an agent will provide.
American Family has a pay-per-mile insurance program called KnowYourDrive, which helps low-mileage drivers save up to 20 percent by tracking mileage and safe driving habits. This program tracks your driving habits on a smartphone app. Enrolling gets you a 10 percent discount off the bat, then the app will monitor your driving behavior, including braking, speeding, mileage and trip duration. It also notes risky behaviors like using a GPS or sending a text while driving, which is tracked on your phone when the app is in use.